Posture refers to the position in which our bodies are held when we sit, stand or lie down. It is very important to maintain the correct posture of the body. A good posture means that the body parts are aligned in the right manner supported by the right amount of muscle tension against gravity. A good posture is essential for good health of the body as well as the spine.
A good posture is important as it:
- Helps to keep the bones and joints in the correct alignment so that the muscles can be used properly.
- Reduces stress on ligaments that hold the spinal joints thereby reducing chances of injuries to the spine.
- Allows the muscles to work efficiently and in the right manner.
- Helps to prevent muscular strains and also their improper use.
In general, we do not maintain a good posture when sitting, standing or lying down. Instead we like to maintain a posture that we feel comfortable in which is not the right thing to do as it leads to several health issues.
A poor posture can put excess strain on the muscles of the body thereby hampering their functioning. Poor posture may lead to injuries and pain in the muscles that can in turn lead to different health issues.
Tips to maintain a good posture when sitting:
- When sitting, one must keep the feet on the floor or a footrest if the feet do not reach the floor.
- When sitting, there must always be a gap between the seat and the back of the knees.
- It is important to support the low and mid back when sitting and therefore the backrest of a seat must be adjusted accordingly.
- When sitting, the shoulders must always be relaxed.
- It is important to ensure that one does not sit in the same position for long time periods.
Tips to maintain a good posture when standing:
- When standing the weight must be borne by the balls of the feet and not the toes.
- When standing one must bend the knees a little and stand straight and tall with shoulders held backwards.
- It is important to maintain the head level when standing. The ear lobes must be in-line with the shoulders when standing and the head must not be pushed forward, backward or on the sides.
- When standing for long time periods, one must make sure to shift the weight from one leg to another or from the heels to the toes so that the muscles of the legs and back do not get strained.
Innovative Spine Wellness is a wellness facility in Newmarket. We help people cope with their spine and back problems in an effective manner. For posture correction, Newmarket, we are the best and the most professional facility.